CDC also supports selected projects per year dedicated to mathematics education and capacity building.
- Supported activities include the Capacity and Network Project (CANP) of the IMU commission International Commission on Mathematics Instruction (ICMI) which fosters mathematics teacher training and capacity building in developing countries. The CANP Series started 2011 in Mali and was continued in 2012 in Costa Rica, in 2013 in Cambodia, in 2014 in Tanzania and in 2016 in Peru. CDC supported the following CANP workshops
- CANP 1 EDIMath held in Mali 2011 with participants from the Francophone Sub-Saharan African Region (Mali, Senegal, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Niger)
- CANP 2 Central America and the Caribbean held in Costa Rica in 2012 with participants mainly from Colombia, Venezuela, Dominican Republic, and Costa Rica but also coming from Panama, Spain, Mexico and Cuba.
- CANP 3 South East Asia (Mekong) held in 2013 in Cambodia with participants from Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, and Vietnam, plus facilitators from the region and from overseas.
- CANP 5 Andean Region and Paraguay held in 2016 in Peru with participants from Boliva, Ecuador, Paraguay and Peru as well as international scholars from Canada, Costa Rica, France, Italy and the USA met in February 2016 for two weeks to discuss and exchange information, share the state of the art research, and identify strategies for addressing barriers to enhance mathematics education and to conduct to building a sustainable network for policy makers, scholars and practitioners in the Andean region and Paraguay.
- CDC has also supported the Inter University Ibero-American Mathematics Competition (IMMC) which was held in 2011 in Ecuador.
- As an initiative from the European Mathematical Society Committee for Developing Countries (EMS-CDC), workshops have been initiated on the topic on how to find and access online information resources in mathematics. The aim of the workshops is that they should be as participatory as possible, and that hands-on experience is the key to learning and understanding. So far four workshop have been held and were funded by the IMU and the European Mathematical Society in collaboration. More information can be found here.
If your institution would like to apply for support, please use the Project Application Form which can be found under 'Grants'.