This program gives partial support to a Mathematical Science based conferences organized in developing or economically disadvantaged countries. The funds are for travel and accommodation only.
This program is administered by IMU-CDC
Please ensure that you carefully go through all the requirements listed below before sending out your application.
If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CANNOT be considered for evaluation.
Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.
1. The conference must be in a Mathematical Sciences field or a related one
2. The conference must address either a Regional or an International audience. They should benefit mathematicians from neighboring countries as well.
3. The selection committee specifically considers only those conferences at a Research level and due to lack of funds CANNOT support schools or activities which involve professional training.
4. The conference must be based (place of work) in a developing country. OMU classifies Developing Countries as those with GNI per capita in USD, not exceeding USD 11,000, in accordance with the United Nations data. (Data as of December 2015) For a list, please go here.
5. In exceptional cases, conferences conducted by developed countries inviting mathematicians from developing or economically disadvantaged countries can be accepted. For details see below
We can divide the support given to the countries into two categories. The conditions listed above (Eligibility criteria) must be followed by BOTH categories.
The Commission for Developing Counties (CDC) supports conferences organized in developing countries and economically disadvantaged countries and for mathematicians whose place of residence is a developing country.
CDC classifies Developing Countries as those with GNI per capita in USD, not exceeding USD 11,000, in accordance with the United Nations data.
For a list, please go here:http://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/cdc-definition-for-developing-countries/
These conferences fall under the category of 'Key Support'.
This is possible only when the international conferences invite mathematicians from developing and economically disadvantaged countries and if the money granted by CDC is specifically used for supporting them.
1. Grants received must be used only to support conference participation by mathematicians from developing countries (as defined by CDC).
2. Organizers of the category B conferences are additionally required to prove that they will match the funds requested from CDC with an equal amount from other sources which must also be dedicated to supporting conference participation by mathematicians from developing countries.
1. A completed application form must be sent by the conference organizers are at least five months in advance.
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV) of BOTH the conference organizers must be submitted. It must include a selected list of publications. (Max. 3 pages)
3. Budget details must be included. It should be a detailed draft of the approximate spending (see Grant details for a detailed overview of what is covered). The applicant CANNOT apply for more than 3500 Euros.
4. The application form must include a list of invited speakers (Name-University-Country). Please specify those who have accepted the invite.
5. The application form must also include a detailed scientific program (which includes details of how the conference will be organized: plenary lectures, parallel sessions, etc).
6. The application form must be submitted online. Click here for the link.
1. The maximum amount that is awarded is 3500 Euros. In case the funds are granted they are usually in the range of 1000 Euros - 3000 Euros.
2. The funds must be used for travel and accommodation costs only. (for invited speakers or participants coming from developing countries).
3. The cost of speakers coming from developed countries CANNOT be covered using the grant.
4. The CDC CANNOT be expected to provide the main share of financial support; an overall conference budget has to be included with the application.
5. This grant CANNOT support travel costs to attend workshops or conferences.
The Grant Selection Committee (GSC) consists of the CDC Secretary for Grants Selection as Chair and has six other members, three from CDC and three others each representing Latin America, Africa and Asia respectively.
The applications are circulated to the GSC through the IMU Secretariat in Berlin, Germany.
1. If you do not receive an automated reply after submitting the application, let us know via cdcgrants(at)mathunion.org.
2. This grant CANNOT support travel costs to attend workshops or conferences.
3. Applications must be sent out at least five months before the start of the visit.
4. The conference must be relevant to mathematicians participating from developing countries.
6. If for some reason the visit is postponed/ canceled, you must inform us well in advance.
All the best!