This program gives partial support to conferences in the mathematical sciences The funds are for academic use only (travel or living expenses of invited speakers or participants coming from developing countries).
There are two program lines:
A) Conferences in Developing Countries (Key Support)
The Commission for Developing Countries supports conferences organized in developing countries and economically disadvantaged countries and which are a priori open to any working mathematician whatever his or her nationality.
CDC Definition "Developing Country"
Due to limited funding, CDC defines "developing countries" as countries with a Gross National Income per Capita (GNIPC, Atlas method) less than 7500 USD. For a list, please go here
B) Conferences in Developed Countries
The Conference Support Program also supports annually a few major international conferences occurring in developed countries (countries with a Gross National Income per Capita (Atlas method) over USD 7.500) and who would like to invite mathematicians from developing and economically disadvantaged countries.
General Policy to Apply for Conference Support (A and B)
- Conferences should address a regional audience and not only a national one; They should benefit mathematicians from the neighboring countries as well.
- The funds awarded are for academic use only (travel or living expenses of invited speakers or participants coming from developing countries).
- The cost of speakers from developed countries cannot be covered by the grant.
- The Grant Selection Committee (GSC) only considers conferences at the research level and, due to lack of funds, cannot support schools or activities which are mainly concerned with professional training.
- The GSC should not be expected to provide the main share of financial support; an overall conference budget has to be included with the application.
Although the same general requirements (1.-5.) apply for conferences in developed countries and the same application form is to be used, applications from developed countries (B) have two additional requirements:
- Grants received shall only be used to support conference participation by mathematicians from developing countries (countries with a lower GNIPC than USD 7.500, Atlas method).
- Organizers from developed countries are additionally required to demonstrate that they will match the funds requested from CDC with an equal amount from other sources which is also dedicated to supporting conference participation by mathematicians from developing countries.
Requirements for the Grantees
In the case that support is granted by the Grant Selection Committee, the organizers are required to
- Name IMU - CDC as sponsor of the conference (in all publications, announcements e.g.) as well as
- Submit after the conference (within six weeks):
- A short scientific report
- A short itemized detailed financial report on the use of their conference funds naming the supported mathematicians as well as their contact details.
Please also read the Application Requirements before filling out the application form!
For the application form please go to 'Applications' on the left side of this page or click here.
Final Report Form (for scientific and financial report)
For the final report (when returned home) please use the Report Form.