This program supports travel costs for RESEARCH visits (minimum stay is four weeks) by mathematicians based in developing and economically disadvantaged countries.
This program CANNOT support travel cost to any conference, summer school or workshops.
General Policy for Applications made by Individuals
- The applicant should hold a Ph.D. or equivalent (in the field of mathematics).
- The host institution should explicitly commit itself to supporting the local expenses (e.g. offer free accommodation).
- Mathematicians from developed countries are only eligible for visits made to mathematical centers in developing countries.
- The research visits should have a duration which allows profitable contacts and scientific cooperation (four weeks is the minimum). Applications from mathematicians working in all areas of advanced mathematics will be considered.
- CDC can only support travel cost, no living cost.
CDC Definition "Developing Country"
Due to limited funding, CDC defines "developing countries" as countries with a Gross National Income per Capita (GNIPC, Atlas method) less than 7500 USD. For a list, please go here
Applicants from countries with a slightly higher GNIPC may still be considered for funding as an applicant from a developing or economically disadvantaged country.
- Curriculum Vitae including a selected list of publications (max. 3 pages)
- A detailed research program including expected interaction with local mathematicians, Ph.D. students, etc. (minimum 100 words and including general aim of research visit)
- A copy of the letter of invitation from the host institution mentioning explicitly how local expenses like accommodation and food will be supported (by host institution, by a fellowship, etc.).
Individuals who receive financial support are required to:
- Submit a short scientific report and itemized financial report on the use of their travel funds within 2 weeks after the conclusion of their supported activity.
Please use: the final report form (below)
- Acknowledge the support of the International Mathematical Union in their publications.
Attention grantees: If the research visit for which CDC/IMU funds are granted is cancelled, or if its nature is fundamentally altered, grantees are required to immediately contact the IMU Secretariat in Berlin concerning return of the funds granted. It is expected that the funds will be returned to CDC/IMU.
Due to the limited funds at its disposal, the GSC CANNOT support:
- Training visits (even for Ph.D. programs).
- Applications by individuals for travel grants to attend conferences (even for invited speakers).
- Travel support when local support is sufficient to cover both local and travel expenses (e.g. visiting professorship positions).
Individuals should apply at least four months in advance. They have to be send not later than 9 weeks before departure. Applications that are send later cannot be considered.
For the application form please go to the Online Application Form on the left side of this page or click here.
Final Report Form (for scientific and financial report)
For the final report (when returned home) please use the Report Form.