Since January 2011, the Secretariat of the International Mathematical Union is permanently based in Berlin, Germany. Under the supervision of the IMU Executive Committee, the Secretariat runs IMU’s day-to-day business and provides support for many IMU operations, including administrative assistance for the International Commission on Mathematical Instruction (ICMI) and the Commission for Developing Countries (CDC). The IMU Secretariat also hosts the IMU archive.
- Alexander Mielke: Head of the Secretariat and IMU Treasurer, E-mail: treasurer(at)mathunion.org, Phone: +49 30 20372-435
- Sylwia Markwardt: Manager of the Secretariat, E-mail: manager(at)mathunion.org, Phone: +49 30 20372-430
- Lena Koch: ICMI/CDC Administrator, E-mail: icmi.cdc.administrator(at)mathunion.org, Phone: +49 30 20372-432
- Anita Orlowsky: IMU Accountant, E-mail: accountant(at)mathunion.org, Phone: +49 30 20372-436
- Birgit Seeliger: IMU Archivist, E-mail: archive(at)mathunion.org, Phone: +49 30 20372-437
- Gerhard Telschow: IT and Technical Support, E-mail: technician(at)mathunion.org, Phone: +49 30 20372-590
Helge Holden, E-mail: secretary(at)mathunion.org,
Phone: +49 30 20372-431; +47 92038625
The Secretary is responsible for conducting the ordinary business of the Union and for keeping its records.
Address of the IMU Secretariat:
International Mathematical Union
10117 Berlin, Germany
Phone: +49 30 20372-430
Fax: +49 30 20372-439
Video: The conference room of the IMU secretariat is equipped with the video conference system "Lifesize Room 220". Click here for more information.
For the first time in its almost 100-year history, IMU has a permanent secretariat. In the past, IMU conducted its business at the institution of the IMU Secretary which usually also served as the legal domicile of IMU. At the General Assembly 2010 in Bangalore, India, the Weierstrass Institute in Berlin, Germany (WIAS) was elected as the host institution of the permanent secretariat. The operation of the secretariat is supported by grants from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) and the State of Berlin.
The International Mathematical Union is grateful to the institutions that have hosted the IMU office in previous years. Beginning in 1950 with the preparations for the (second) foundation of IMU in 1951/1952 the IMU secretariat has operated in the following locations:
1950-1952 Kongelige Danske Videnskabernes Selskab (Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters), København, Denmark
1952-1956 Università degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza", Italy
1956-1974 Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland
1975-1982 Collège de France, Paris, France
1983-1990 Helsingin yliopisto (University of Helsinki), Finland
1991-1998 Instituto Nacional de Matemática Pura e Aplicada (IMPA), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
1999-2006 Institute for Advanced Study (IAS), Princeton, USA
2007-2010 Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum (ZIB), Berlin, Germany