| > > > > >
NOTE: This second version of the Terms of Reference of ICMI was adopted by the Executive Committee of the International Mathematical Union at its meeting held in Paris in April 1960. It was in force until a new version was adopted in 1982.
- The Commission shall consist of ten members-at-large elected by the General Assembly of IMU on nomination of the President of IMU, and of one national delegate from each member nation, as specified below.
- The officers of the Commission shall consist of a President, a Secretary, and two Vice-Presidents. The President shall be elected by the General Assembly on the nomination of the President of IMU from the members-at-large of the Commission.
- The Executive Committee of the Commission shall consist of the officers of the Commission together with three additional members elected by the membership of the Commission.
- In all other respects the Commission shall make its own decisions as to its internal organization and rules of procedure.
- Any National Adhering Organization wishing to support or encourage the work of the Commission may create, or recognize, in agreement with its National Committee, a National Sub-Commission for ICMI to maintain liaison with the Commission in all matters pertinent to its affairs. The National Adhering Organization in question shall designate one member of the said Sub-Commission, if created, to serve as a delegated member of ICMI as mentioned in (a).
- The Commission shall be charged with the conduct of the activities of IMU, bearing on mathematical or scientific education and shall take the initiative in inaugurating appropriate programmes designed to further the sound development of mathematical education at all levels, and to secure public appreciation of its importance. In the pursuit of this objective, the Commission shall cooperate, to the extent it considers desirable with effective regional groups which may be formed spontaneously, within, or outside, its own structure.
- The Commission may, with the approval of the Executive Committee of IMU, coopt, as members of ICMI, suitable chosen representatives of non-IMU countries, on an individual basis.
- The budget of the Commission shall be submitted to the Executive Committee of IMU and the General Assembly, for approval, at such times as may be determined by agreement between the Commission and the Executive Committee of IMU.
- The Commission shall file an annual report of its activities with the Executive Committee of IMU, and shall file a quadrennial report at each regular meeting of the General Assembly.