ICME is the largest international conference on mathematics education. It is held every four years (on a year which is a multiple of four) and it is the meeting point for mathematics educators, curriculum developers, mathematicians, researchers in mathematics education, teachers, teacher educators and resource producers.
ICMI is hereby inviting the ICMI community: ICMI state/country representatives, national/regional mathematics education and mathematics organizations and academic institutions to consider the possibility of organizing and hosting the International Congress on Mathematical Education in July/ August 2024.
Please note: Applications by conventions centers, tourist agencies or any other commercial organization will not be considered.
ICMI recognizes that not all states/countries have similar conditions to mount a potentially successful bid. Nevertheless ICMI acknowledges that every bid will have its own advantages and highlights as well as its own weaknesses and difficulties. Therefore all states/countries are encouraged to consider bidding according to the guidelines below. The Executive Committee of ICMI will judiciously weigh the weak and strong points of all bids, taking into special consideration proposals from regions in which ICME has not been held in the past or in the last 25 years, and for which the conference will considerably boost mathematics education.
Although this call is only for an expression of intent to bid, we advise that when considering and preparing its submission to organize and host this conference, ICMI advises the potential candidates to consider the following - which will be required as part of a full bid document due in November 1, 2018):
1. Provide a statement explaining why ICME should take place in the proposed state/country. Please point out particular highlights but also address honestly potential weaknesses or difficulties.
2. Provide a list of national and regional organizations (professional associations, universities, governmental/non-governmental organizations, others) and prominent mathematicians and/or mathematics educators who support the idea of organizing and hosting the conference, and will contribute to the organizational efforts.
3. Nominate the chair of the conference and the head of the local organizing committee (LOC), prepare a brief CV for each of these two persons and provide a personal letter of intent signed by them. Bear in mind that whereas all the members of the local organizing committee are appointed by the organizers, the members of the International Program Committee (IPC) who are in charge of the scientific components of the conference are appointed by ICMI.
4. Provide a statement asserting that (a) participants from all over the world (regardless of their nationality) will be allowed freedom of entrance to the hosting state/country and (b) that all possible efforts will be made and assistance provided in order that all participants who would need an entry visa will receive it.
5. Provide a concise description of the venue (and its facilities) available to host the academic activities of the conference (expected attendance of 2,500-3,000 participants).
6. Provide a description of the amount/type of accommodation that can be offered to the participants and speakers, including an adequate amount of inexpensive lodging. Provide some information about distances to the venue and availability of convenient transportation.
7. Provide an estimate of the budget and list possible sources of funding (including intention to approach commercial, governmental or philanthropic entities). Bear in mind that the registration fees to be collected from the participants should be within the range of the fees charged in previous ICMEs. Please take into account: personnel costs, publication costs (Proceedings, website, program, photocopies), rental of the venue, equipment (including videotaping main sessions), social events (reception, farewell, happy hour, excursion, coffee breaks), invited participants (travel and accommodation of plenary speakers), costs of the organization of two IPC meetings (travel and accommodation of 15-20 members for two one-week periods), insurance and miscellaneous expenses. The host country/ LOC of an ICME is fully responsible for the congress budget, including revenues and expenses. ICMI is unable to underwrite losses incurred during an ICME. Thus the financial responsibility ultimately lies with the bidding organisation. All sources of income other than the registration fees are the full responsibility of the hosts. ICMI will contribute to the ICME budget with two instalments of 5,000 Euros (a total of 10,000 Euros). This amount may be requested at any time before or after the Congress.
8. Provide an estimated timeline for the publication of the Proceedings.
ICMI warmly recommends potential bidders to approach previous conference chairs (convenors) in order to gain first-hand information about the character and scope of the task. All members of the Executive Committee (EC) of ICMI, and certainly the President and the Secretary General, will be open for consultation towards the preparation of the proposal.
Any bid for an ICME should be presented BY MATHEMATICS EDUCATORS/ MATHEMATICIANS in agreement with the Mathematics Education Associations of the hosting country and endorsed by both the Mathematical Association/ Organizations and the country representative to ICMI.
To see the local organisers (and bidders) from the last ICME (ICME 13 held 2016 in Hamburg, Germany) please go here:
Further detailed information can be found in the "Agreement between the Host Member and ICMI regarding the hosting an ICME congress".
Please also check out the page: www.mathunion.org/icmi/conferences/icme-international-congress-on-mathematical-education/bidding-for-an-icme/.
Please send the preliminary declaration of intention of presenting a (final) bid to act as host for ICME-15 (in 2024) (acknowledging each of the above points) by December 1, 2017, to:
Secretary General of ICMI
Next Deadlines/ Further process
- Firm (final) bids should reach the Secretary-General by November 1st, 2018 (in 12 copies).
- The decision about the site of ICME-15 (held in 2024) will be announced before the end of 2019.
- During 2020 the ICME 15 Host and ICMI EC will sign the "Agreement between the Host Member and ICMI regarding the hosting an ICME congress".
In case of any questions, please contact the ICMI Secretary General.
Secretary General of ICMI