The Executive Committee wishes to support the production and distribution of video recordings of lectures delivered by outstanding mathematicians and aimed at general audiences. Prof. Donaldson agreed to initiate this effort, possibly working with Prof. Atiyah.
Change of Groups The EC decided to invite Canada, Israel and Italy to apply to move from Group IV to Group V, in the IMU structure, as for January 1, 1998. At the same time, the EC also decided to invite Sweden, Switzerland and Netherlands to apply to move from Group III to Group IV, as for January 1, 1998.
Change in the IMU Statutes The EC decided to recommend to the next General Assembly, the following addition to the IMU Statutes (all the other items remain the same, renumbered as necessary):
CHANGE IN STATUTES of the INTERNATIONAL MATHEMATICAL UNION
Approved in the 63th meeting of the Executive Committee, held in Berlin on May 15-16, 1997
1. For the purpose of facilitating jointly sponsored activities and jointly pursuing the objectives of the IMU, multi-national mathematical societies and professional societies can be affiliated with the Union.
2. The members of the Union shall elect the affiliate members by Postal Ballots or at meetings of the General Assembly upon recommendation of the EC. The affiliation may be terminated by the same procedure.
3. Affiliate members have the right to participate in the General Assembly but shall have no voting rights.
4. Such affiliate members have the right to submit proposals for joint activities to the General Assembly and to the President and Secretary for consideration of the Executive Committee.
5. The Executive Committee, with the support of the Adhering Organizations and National Committees, shall look for ways to keep close relations with the affiliated organizations and to enhance mathematical activities in their regions. They shall receive the Bulletin of the IMU and be kept informed of all activities relevant to them.
CDE - Professors David Mumford and Jacob Palis discussed their view points that IMU-CDE should try to originate and support projects of development of mathematics in less afluent regions of the world. A good example of that has just been proposed by H.Clemens to take place in Botswana and Zimbabwe. Perhaps this project can be expanded to all of Southern Africa if South Africa joins the effort.
ICMI - About ICMI there were comments on the importance of teaching of sciences and the search for new talents, issues that are meriting widespread attention. In particular, ICSU has recently launched an ambitious project called Capacity Building on Science, aiming at attracting as many as possible primary and secondary school children to the beauty of Science all over the world. The EC will encourage ICMI to join in such an effort.
Book on the History of IMU - The EC approved the idea of having a ceremony at the International Congress, to launch the book on the history of IMU, by Olli Lehto.
The EC shall look for ways of supporting Ukranian mathematicians. Professors David Mumford and Jacob Palis will write to Prof. Drinfeld asking for suggestions.
IMU Committee on Electronic Publishing - A Committee was formed to address the various aspects of electronic publishing that are of interest to mathematicians: L.Lovasz (Chairman), Neil Calkin, John Franks, Martin Grötschel, Joachim Heinze, Peter Michor, Andrew Odlyzko, John Price - Wilkin, Hans Roosendaal. The issue was presented to the EC members by Prof. Martin Gröetschel. He suggested a meeting of the committee, which was approved with a financial support of US$ 10,000 from IMU.