IMU Bulletin no. 43, October
CHANGE IN STATUTES
INTERNATIONAL MATHEMATICAL UNION
Approved in the 63rd meeting of the Executive Committee, held in Berlin on May 15-16, 1997
- For the purpose of facilitating jointly sponsored activities and jointly pursuing the objectives of the IMU, multi-national mathematical societies and professional societies can be affiliated with the Union.
- The members of the Union shall elect the affiliate members by Postal Ballots or at meetings of the General Assembly upon recommendation of the EC. The affiliation may be terminated by the same procedure.
- Affiliate members have the right to participate in the General Assembly but shall have no voting rights.
- Such affiliate members have the right to submit proposals for joint activities to the General Assembly and to the President and Secretary for consideration of the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee, with the support of the Adhering Organizations and National Committees, shall look for ways to keep close relations with the affiliated organizations and to enhance mathematical activities in their regions and fields of interest. They shall receive the Bulletin of the IMU and be kept informed of all activities relevant to them.