[ICMI-News] ICMI News 4b: July 2008

Jaime Carvalho e Silva jaimecs at mat.uc.pt
Sun Jul 6 02:04:08 CEST 2008

ICMI News 4b: July 2008

Special issue on the web broadcast of "ICME-11".

The Opening Ceremony and all Plenary Activities
will be broadcast real time on the web at
http://eventos.uanl.mx/icme/

The timetable can be downloaded here:

http://www.icme11.org/system/files/TimetableICME8.pdf

Plenary Activities

P 1. What do we know? And how do we know it? (Two
speakers with different viewpoints)

     * Michèle Artigue (France)
     * Jeremy Kilpatrick (USA)

P 2. What do we need to know? Does research in
mathematics education address the concerns of
practitioners and policy makers? -Panel debate -
David Clarke (Australia)

Panelists:

     * Paul Cobb (USA)
     * Mariolina Bartolini Bussi (Italy)
     * Teresa Rojano (Mexico)
     * Shiqi Li (China)

P 3. Technology and mathematics education (1 hour)

     * Celia Hoyles (United Kingdom)

P 4. Current trends in mathematics

A panoramic view of current trends in mathematics
and of the role and expression of mathematics in
the development of science and technology will be
offered to ICME-11 attendees. (1 hour)

     * José Antonio de la Peña (Mexico)

P 5. History of the development of mathematics
education in Latin American countries.
-Panel debate - Fidel Oteiza (Chile)

Panelists:

     * Eugenio Filloy (Mexico)
     * Ubiratan D´Ambrosio (Brazil)
     * Luis Campistrous (Cuba)
     * Carlos Vasco (Colombia)

P 6. Equal access to quality mathematics education.
-Panel debate - Bill Atweh (Australia)

Panelists:

     * Olimpia Figueras (Mexico)
     * Murad Jurdak (Lebanon)
     * Catherine Vistro-Yu (The Philippines)

P 7. Knowledge for teaching mathematics (two
speakers representing different perspectives)

     * Toshiakira Fujii (Japan)
     * Ruhama Even (Israel)

P 8. Report of Survey Team 3: The impact of
research findings in mathematics education on
students´ learning of mathematics

     * Angel Gutiérrez (Spain)

P 9. Report of Survey Team 4: Representations of
mathematical concepts, objects and processes in
mathematics teaching and learning

ICMI News is a Bimonthly Email Newsletter from
the ICMI-International Commission on Mathematical
Instruction
Editor: Jaime Carvalho e Silva, Dep. Matematica,
Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal

2. Send an e-mail to icmi-news-request at mathunion.org with the Subject-line:
Subject: subscribe

In both cases you will get an e-mail to confirm your subscription so
that misuse will be minimized. ICMI will not use the list of ICMI News
addresses for any purpose other than sending ICMI News, and will not
make it available to others.

Previous issues can be seen at:
http://www.mathunion.org/pipermail/icmi-news