[ICMI-News] ICMI News 4: June 2008

Jaime Carvalho e Silva jaimecs at mat.uc.pt
Sun Jun 29 01:45:24 CEST 2008

ICMI News 4: June 2008

A Bimonthly Email Newsletter from the
ICMI-International Commission on Mathematical
Instruction
Editor: Jaime Carvalho e Silva, Dep. Matematica,
Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal

CONTENTS

1. Editorial: Celebrating ICMI's progress,
voicing where and how we need to grow
2. More news about the 11th ICME-International
Congress on Mathematical Education
3. ICME-11:  Ibero-American Forum
4. Experiencing Mathematics at ICME-11
5. Citation Statistics - a document released by IMU
6. IOWME welcomes you!
7. Website on the History of ICMI
8. An "ICMI Reading Room" at Springer
9. Extended deadline for contributions to Study 19
10. New Journal in Maths Education - INDIA
11.  Calendar of Events of Interest to the ICMI Community
12.  Historical vignettes: The almost failure of founding IMUK/ICMI
13.  Subscribing to ICMI News

1.  Editorial: Celebrating ICMI's progress,
voicing where and how we need to grow

ICMI News 2 appeared immediately prior to the
ICMI Centennial Symposium hosted by the Italian
community of mathematicians and mathematics
educators in Rome in March. This fourth issue of
the ICMI Newsletter appears immediately prior to
our Congress in Mexico - ICME-11. By now, those
who will be attending will be preparing their
presentations, and for their travel to and
participation in the Congress. We look forward to
meeting and interacting with colleagues in
mathematics education across the world.

We have noted in previous newsletters the
significance of this Congress for ICMI as an
organisation. At the General Assembly on 6 July,
we will be voting in a new  Executive Committee
who will take office in 2010. This will be the
first time in our history that the President,
Vice-Presidents, Secretary-General and
Members-at-Large of the Executive Committee will
be voted in by the ICMI community. Previously,
this election occurred at the International
Congress of Mathematicians. This is an historic
occasion, particularly considering we have just
celebrated our Centenary! And as we do this, we
take note at the numerous countries that are not
yet part of the ICMI community. Across Africa,
for example, a small handful of countries are
members. While the current and past Executives
have made much progress in broadening ICMI's
reach, there remains much for the current and new
Executives to do in extending ICMI's work.

A quick journey through the ICME-11 website and
the various activities that will be in session
during the Congress shows the breadth and depth
of mathematics education activity across the
world. Those who will attend will have
opportunity to engage with developments in
mathematics education across topics, levels,
interest areas, research domains and national
contexts. Amidst this explosion of activity, we
nevertheless need to attend to the challenges
levelled at ICMI in the closing session of the
Centennial Symposium. The majority of the world's
children attend school in relatively poor
material conditions; thousands upon thousands do
not have the privilege of completing a primary
school education. How does the research we do
speak to these conditions? A critical and perhaps
rhetorical question was asked whether indeed the
work of the organisation can and does impact
globally, across the economic and technological
divide. More specifically, in what ways does the
work we do contribute to the Millennium goals of
universal primary education by 2015?

These questions complement those posed by Vice
President Bill Barton in issue no. 2 of this
Newsletter. He focused importantly on
communication, on understanding and working with
diversity, on learning to listen and hear each
other in our similarities and differences. As we
approach ICME-11, and celebrate our historic
coming of age, it is important to ensure that we
take up the challenge posed at the Centennial:
that we steer our work to increasing access to
mathematics education for all. A number of
sessions in the Congress, including Plenary
sessions, have this challenge in focus. I look
forward to discussion during and after the
Congress, through our various channels of
communication. In particular, we should mark this
place, and ask in 2012: what is our progress?

I look forward to seeing you in Monterrey.

Jill Adler, Vice-President, ICMI, jill.adler at wits.ac.za

2. More news about the 11th ICME-International
Congress on Mathematical Education

The program of ICME-11 is full of interesting
activities. So full in fact that we cannot report
it here in any way. So I am just going to pick up
a few of the activities just to show how diverse
ICME-11 is (the Ibero-american Forum and the
exhibition "Experiencing Mathematics" are
mentioned further below).

The program includes approximately 60 regular
lectures, running in five time slots in the
congress timetable, each with around 12
simultaneous lectures. This is going to force
evryone to make tough choices! Just a glimpse of
the choices available:

* A course: "Mathematics and Technology" for
preservice secondary school teachers, Christiane
Rousseau (Canada)
* Ethnomathematics at the Margin of Europe. A
Pagan Calendar in Modern Times, Kristín
Bjarnadóttir (Iceland)
* For a Comparative History of Mathematics
Education, Wagner Rodrigues Valente (Brazil)
* The Challenges for School Mathematics in Japan, Shizumi Shimizu (Japan)
* Mathematical terminology in teaching and
learning mathematics in African languages, Mercy
Kazima (Malawi)
* The Loss of Intuition, Eduardo Mancera Martínez (Mexico)

I hope you see the point: lots of diverse and interesting stuff.
Several Survey Teams will report their activity,
like the one on "Mathematics education in
multicultural and multilingual environments" that
will be exactly the theme of a future ICMI Study.

There will be more than 50 workshops (a lot of
them will be given in Spanish) about hot topics
like "Uniting the World by Teaching with
Technology", "Discrete Mathematics for
Pre-Secondary Teachers", or "Mathematics from
ages 0 to 18: a collaborative teacher training
methodology joining teachers of all levels of
education".

There are also more than 50 Sharing Experiences
Groups, small groups of participants designed to
exchange and discuss experiences in a
well-defined theme of common interest. Topics
offered include a discussion about the personal
Archives of Ubiratan D'Ambrosio or "The
Interactive Whiteboard in the Mathematics
Classroom".

If to all this you add 38 Topic Study Groups and
28 Discussion Groups, you easily see that this
program is overpacked with interesting sessions.

See you in Monterrey.

The Editor

3. ICME-11:  Ibero-american Forum

Perspectives on development through collaboration

Concurrent with other ICME-11 activities,
meetings will organized that will address the
issue of Ibero-American development and
collaboration. In spite of their differences,
Ibero-America countries share cultural roots,
ethnic diversity, and a sense of identity. A
forum where participants will explore the
possibilities, advantages and perils of
development through collaboration, not only
within Ibero-America, but also with other
regions, will be provided.

The activities of the Ibero-American Forum are the following:

1.-  Round Table "Meeting of Mathematical
Associations in Ibero-America"  there will be
representation of  Colombia, Brazil, Perú, Costa
Rica, Uruguay, Guatemala, Dominican Republic and
Venezuela
2.- Panel "Research on Mathematical Education"
with the participation of colleagues from Mexico,
Brazil, Uruguay, Spain, Venezuela and Chile
3.- Round Table "Teacher Training" with
participation from Mexico, Brazil, Costa Rica,
Colombia, Spain and Portugal
4.- Panel "Development of Mathematics in higher
level and research" with participation of
colleagues from Chile, Colombia and Mexico.
5.- Round Table "Mathematical Training for the
Citizen" participations from Mexico, Argentina,
Brazil, Cuba and Portugal.

The Ibero-American Forum is scheduled on Tuesday
(17:30-19), Friday and Saturday (17:30-19:30).

4.  Experiencing Mathematics at ICME-11

Experiencing Mathematics at ICME11 - ¿Por qué las matemáticas?

An International Exhibition initiated and supported by UNESCO
and created by Centre.Sciences, CCSTi region Centre-Orléans
with the Tokay University (Tokio) and the Ateneo
University de Manila (Philippines)

From ICME-10 in Copenhagen to ICME-11 in
Monterrey, more than 800 000 young people, their
teachers and parents have visited this very
interactive exhibition.
"Experiencing Mathematics" has been present in
more than 50 cities from 20 countries, in
Southern Africa, Middle East, South-East Asia,
Europe, now, in Latin America, Asia (India,
Pakistan, Philippines), PortugalŠ and soon
Sub-Saharan Africa, North America, Turkey and
Brazil.

This interactive exhibition is intended to show
to all visitors that mathematics is:
- astonishing, interesting and useful,
- accessible, for the first steps, to everyone,
- plays a large part in our daily life,
- has an important role in our culture, sustainable development and progress.

Which are the exhibition themes? Mathematics is
central to our daily life but how many people,
how many teachers realize each time they use a
telephone or a credit card, listen to a compact
disk, drive a car or board a plane, that
mathematics is present? Similarly, when they buy
a car or a house with credit, check the weather
report or admire a work of art?
Experiencing mathematics shows not only that
mathematics is indispensable to daily life but
can also be fun. In this exhibition you take
pleasure to manipulate, to ask questions and try
to find answers. In this exhibition, it's
forbidden to "don't touch"!.

3 months ago, a virtual exhibition based on this
interactive hands-on exhibition was proposed to
teachers, especially for secondary teachers of
southern countries. You can see it on the ICME-11
exhibition place or on
http://www.ExperiencingMaths.org
It was created by Centre.Sciences, initiated and
supported, too, by Unesco basic Science education
program.

It will be present in Monterrey in the ICME-11 exhibition place:
http://www.gamalog.com.mx/preregistro/icme11exp/plano.jpg

Its itinerancy is supported by IMU, ICMI, CIMPA,
local ministries of Science and Education and
French Embassies.
To know more: http://www.MathEx.org

Michel Darche, mldarche at free.fr

5. Citation Statistics - a document released by IMU

The IMU has just released an important document, called
"Citation Statistics", which we want to bring to your attention.

IMU announced in July 2007 the creation of a committee on
"Quantitative assessment of research" that was asked to investigate
various aspects of impact factors and similar statistics based on
citations. The committee was appointed jointly by the Executive
Committees of the International Mathematical Union (IMU), the
International Council for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (ICIAM),
and the Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS). It consisted of:

- John Ewing (Providence, USA), chair, appointed by IMU
- Robert Adler (Haifa, Israel), appointed by IMS
- Peter Taylor (Melbourne, Australia), appointed by ICIAM.

The terms of reference given to the committee can be found at:

http://www.mathunion.org/Publications/2007/Charge-ComOnQuantAssessmRes070521.pdf

The committee has addressed this charge by reviewing and discussing
current practices along with an extensive literature on the use of
citations to evaluate research. Its report, written from the perspective
of mathematical scientists, was submitted to the Executive Committees
of IMU, ICIAM, and  IMS, and all three endorsed the report. The three
organizations are making the report "Citation Statistics" public now.

The report can be found at the following URL:
    http://www.mathunion.org/Publications/Report/CitationStatistics

A press release that was mailed out to journalists is at:

http://www.mathunion.org/Publications/PressRelease/2008-06-11/CitationStatistics

This effort was triggered by numerous requests from IMU member countries,
mathematical societies, important mathematical institutions, and
individuals who reported the increasing use (and misuse) of impact
factors and similarly of other citation-based indicators to measure the
quality of research of individuals, departments, or whole institutions.

IMU suggests that everybody not only read the report
but also distribute it to administrators and decision-makers who are
involved in the assessment of research quality, in order to give them
a mathematical science perspective. IMU, ICIAM and IMS have agreed that,
in order to assure as wide distribution as possible, journals, newsletters
and similar publications that are interested in publishing this report
will have the non-exclusive right to publish it in one of their issues.
Please contact the newsletters/journals you are connected with and
suggest publication of the report "Citation Statistics".

All 3 organizations, representing the world community of pure,
applied, and industrial mathematics and statistics, hope that the
careful analysis and recommendations in this report will be
considered by decision-makers who are making use of citation
data in research assessment.

6. IOWME welcomes you!

INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATION OF WOMEN AND MATHEMATICS EDUCATION
An affiliated study group of the International
Commission on Mathematical Instruction

The International Organisation of Women and
Mathematics Education (IOWME) provides an
international focus for activity related to
gender, education and mathematics.  During the
two decades of IOWME activity, the attainment
profile for girls in mathematics has changed
significantly in a number of countries but issues
remain: young women opting out of mathematics;
who identifies with mathematics and how; the ways
that mathematics classrooms permit and perpetuate
unhelpful stereotypes; and many more.
Our main channel of communication is our website,
which is maintained by Sheffield Hallam
University, England.  Our newsletter is published
there three times a year and is key in
maintaining the IOWME community.  The newsletters
contain a lively mix of the serious and the
not-so-serious with full length academic
articles, book reviews, news items from around
the world, reports of past and future study group
activities, items from ICMI, information about
the work of study group members, ideas for
teaching, commentary on gender issues in the
news, quotations, jokes and cartoons.  The
newsletters can be viewed at our new website at
http://extra.shu.ac.uk/iowme
The ICMI Centenary has also involved us.  Members
participated in the Centennial celebrations in
Rome in 2008 and we were also asked to
participate in writing a history of IOWME.  Using
a storying methodology and drawing extensively on
writings from members, it is a useful addition to
the IOWME archive.
We will be participating in ICME-11 in Mexico and
hope to contribute towards making the eleventh
Congress a rewarding and energising experience.

International Convenor
Hilary Povey
Mathematics Education Centre
h.povey at shu.ac.uk
Newsletter Editor
Heather Mendick
Institute for Policy Studies in Education
London Metropolitan University
England
h.mendick at londonmet.ac.uk

Hilary Povey, International Convenor, IOWME, h.povey at shu.ac.uk

7. Website on the History of ICMI

To celebrate the first hundred years of the ICMI
a Symposium was held in Rome (March, 5-8 2008).
Most events of the Symposium took place in the
same place where the foundation of the Commission
happened, namely the magnificent rooms of the
Accademia dei Lincei, one of the oldest Academies
in the world.  Among the activities planned for
the Symposium there is the website on the history
of the ICMI, under the direction of Fulvia
Furinghetti and Livia Giacardi
(http://www.icmihistory.unito.it/, accessible
also from the permanent web page of the Symposium
http://www.unige.ch/math/EnsMath/).
The aim of the website is to offer to the members
of the community of mathematics educators
elements that allow to delineate the full history
of ICMI and some important features of this
Commission. The moments in the history of the
ICMI are listed in the "Timeline", together with
the references to the sources of information.
Direct access to historical documents and people
is provided in the section devoted to
"Documents". In the section "Interviews and film
clips" opinions and memories of important chief
characters in the life of ICMI are videotaped.
The "Portrait gallery" contains the biographic
cameos of the ICMI officers and of the honorary
members who have passed away in the first hundred
years. Some officers were professional
mathematicians members ex-officio of the ICMI
Executive Committee, others were researchers in
pure mathematics with a strong interest in
mathematics education evidenced by their activity
in school milieu and by specific publications
concerning aspects of mathematical instruction.
When possible the authors of the cameos were
chosen in the countries of the officer treated in
the cameo; this allowed to involve colleagues of
different countries and to share with them the
spirit of our enterprise.
The historical flavor is pervading also the
sections of the recent past, the present and the
future of the ICMI, namely "The Affiliated Study
Groups" and "The International Congresses on
Mathematical Education".
We hope that our (Fulvia's and Livia's) work
about the website of the history of ICMI is
something more than a historical account, namely
it is a way of strengthening the identity of ICMI
community and an inspiration for the ICMI's
future action.

Fulvia Furinghetti, furinghetti at dima.unige.it

8. An "ICMI Reading Room" at Springer

In order to participate to the celebration of the
2005 and 2007 ICMI Awards to be presented at the
opening ceremony of ICME-11, on July 7, 2008, in
Monterrey, México, Springer is pleased to
announce the launching of the
Springer "ICMI Reading Room"

Up to December 31, 2008, members of the
international community of mathematics educators
will have open access, via SpringerLink.com, to
selected works published in Springer journals of
the four most recent ICMI medallists (Paul Cobb,
Ubiratan D'Ambrosio, Jeremy Kilpatrick and Anna
Sfard).

This material, which represents important
milestones in the recent development of the field
of mathematics education, can be freely
downloaded by accessing the url

http://www.springer.com/education/mathematics+education/icmi+reading+room+welcome

Information about the ICMI Awards can be obtained by visiting

http://www.mathunion.org/ICMI/Awards/

Bernard R. Hodgson, Secretary-General of ICMI, bhodgson at mat.ulaval.ca

9. Extended deadline for contributions to Study 19

Due to numerous requests for an extension, the
International Programme Committee (IPC) of ICMI
Study 19 on "Proof and Proving in Mathematics
Education" has agreed to move the deadline for
submission of papers from June 30, 2008 to August
31, 2008. The following are the new dates:

         Submission deadline: Sunday, August 31, 2008
         Notification of acceptance: Saturday, November 15, 2008

The IPC would like to thank all those who have
already submitted their papers. We also urge
others to submit their papers at their earliest
convenience, well ahead of the new deadline of
August 31.

For more details, please see:
<http://jps.library.utoronto.ca/ocs-2.0.0-1/index.php/icmi/8>http://www.icmi19.com

10. New Journal in Maths Education - INDIA

We are very pleased to announce the launching of
our new journal Sutra - The International Journal
of Mathematics Education, an official journal of
the Technomathematics Research Foundation. We
would like to invite you to submit manuscripts of
your original articles, for possible publication
in Sutra, which is a strictly peer-reviewed
publication. All article submissions should be
made electronically to
<mailto:director at tmrfindia.org>TMRF Office
[director at tmrfindia.org]. First issue will be
published online in August 2008.

Sutra is devoted to the interests of students and
teachers of mathematics and mathematics education
at various levels  --  undergraduate through
adult.

The editors encourage the submission of a variety
of manuscripts: expository research articles,
including experiments, case studies, surveys,
philosophical studies, and historical studies;
articles about research, including literature
reviews; classroom notes; critiques of articles
and books; and brief commentaries on issues
pertaining to mathematics research and teaching.
For complete details, please read the
<http://www.tmrfindia.org/sutra/submit.html>submission
guidelines and
<http://www.tmrfindia.org/sutra/aim.html>aims &
scope of the journal.  We also welcome
<http://www.tmrfindia.org/sutra/specialissue.html>special
issue proposals  on various themes on mathematics
and its applications.
[http://www.tmrfindia.org/sutra/submit.html]

The journal is published twice a year.

Review procedure: All manuscripts are subject to
anonymous peer review by knowledgeable scholars
and, if accepted, may be subject to revision.
Materials submitted to Sutra should not be under
consideration by other publishers, nor should
they be previously published in any form. We
shall be glad to receive your contributions at
your earliest convenience.

Please publicize this new journal amongst your
colleagues for possible contribution. Thanks!

Sutra - The International Journal of Mathematics
Education, T.M.R.F., Kolhapur 416001, INDIA

11. Calendar of Events of Interest to the ICMI Community

International Society for Design and Development in Education
ISDDE 2008 conference
Egmond aan Zee, the Netherlands, June 29 - July 2, 2008
http://www.fi.uu.nl/isdde/

Joint ICMI /IASE Study Statistics Education in School Mathematics:
Challenges for Teaching and Teacher Education
ICMI Study and IASE Round Table Conference
ITESM, Monterrey, Mexico, June 30-July 4, 2008
http://www.ugr.es/~icmi/iase_study/

ICME-11 - Mexico 2008
11th International Congress on Mathematical Education
Monterrey, Mexico, July 6 - 13, 2008.
http://icme11.org/

HPM 2008:  History and Pedagogy of Mathematics
The HPM Satellite Meeting of ICME-11,
National Mexican University, Mexico City (UNAM), Mexico, July 14-18, 2008
http://www.red-cimates.org.mx/HPM2008.htm

Fifth European Congress of Mathematics
Amsterdam RAI Center, Netherlands, July 14-18, 2008
http://www.5ecm.nl/

PME32 & PME-NA30 Mexico joint conference
Morelia, Mexico, July 17-21 2008.
http://www.pme32-na30.org.mx/annou.htm
PME33: Thessaloniki - Greece, July 19-24, 2009
PME34: Univ. Fed. Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, Brazil - July 2010
http://igpme.org/

Towards Digital Mathematics Library (DML 2008)
Birmingham, UK, July 27, 2008
http://www.fi.muni.cz/~sojka/dml-2008.xhtml

MathFest 2008
Madison, WI, USA, July 31- August 2 2008
http://www.maa.org/

10th Iranian Mathematics Education Conference (IMEC-10)
Yazd, Iran, August 12-15, 2008
Contact: a_rejali at cc.iut.ac.ir, soheila_azad at yahoo.com
http://www.imec10yazd.com

4th European Workshop on Mathematical & Scientific e-Contents
Trondheim, Norway, September 11-13, 2008,
http://www.ntnu.no/delta/workshop/

TIME-2008: Technology and its Integration in Mathematics Education
Tshwane Univ. of Tech., Buffelspoort, South Africa, September 22-26, 2008
http://time.tut.ac.za/

41st Korean National Meeting of Mathematics Education
Donguei National University, Korea, October 31 - November 1, 2008
<mailto:yhchoe1940 at yahoo.co.kr>yhchoe1940 at yahoo.co.kr

ATCM-13: 13th Asian Technology Conference in Mathematics
Bangkok, Thailand,  December 15-19, 2008
http://atcm.mathandtech.org

3rd international conference to review research
on Science, TEchnology and Mathematics Education
Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (TIFR),
Mumbai, India, January 5-9, 2009
http://web.gnowledge.org/episteme3/

ICTMT-9 - 9th Int Conf on Technology in Mathematics Teaching
Metz, France,  July 4-8, 2009
http://www.ictmt9.org

"Models in Developing Mathematics Education"
The Mathematics Education into the 21st Century Project
Dresden, Saxony, Germany, September 11-17, 2009
<mailto:arogerson at inetia.pl>alan at rogerson.pol.pl

12. Historical vignettes: The almost failure of founding IMUK/ICMI

As is well known, the ICMI was founded in 1908
following a proposal published in 1905 by David
Eugene Smith and reiterated in the pedagogical
section of the International Congress of
Mathematicians (ICM) at Rome. The intense, active
role Germany played in achieving the aims of ICMI
is also familiar. Surprisingly, however, the
founding almost failed owing to the machinations
of a German participant, himself committed to
mathematics education.
The imminent failure of Smith's proposal is clear
from Eileen Donoghue's (1987) study. According to
Smith's papers, in the fourth section of the ICM,
on 9 April, while the German astronomer
Archenhold was presiding, Smith presented his
paper and proposed establishing the international
committee. Archenhold favoured the proposal and
took the vote, which passed.
Nevertheless, Smith thought it necessary to have
the proposal reconfirmed at the last meeting of
the fourth section, on 11 April. Then, however,
the presider was the German mathematics teacher
and educator Max Simon. Simon, as Donoghue
reports, "was one of the few who voiced an
objection to Smith's proposal" (Donoghue 1987,
267). She observes, "While Smith and his
supporters were in the lobby discussing
maneuvers, Simon adjourned the meeting."
Because it was the last meeting of the section,
Smith's proposal would have been postponed until
the next Congress, 4 years later! Donoghue (1987)
reports how Smith prevented the premature death
of his idea by trickily dealing with standing
orders: "Since Italy was the official host
country for the Congress, Smith urged Professors
Castelnuovo and Enriques to exercise their
procedural right and reconvene the meeting"
(ibid., 268), which Enriques and others managed
to achieve. Only then was the motion voted on and
transmitted to the General Assembly for its
approval. It was adopted in the closing session
that same afternoon.
A second source for the near failure of Smith's
proposal is a report by Walther Lietzmann, who
shortly thereafter became Klein's assistant in
handling ICMI matters. Lietzmann reported on an
incident at the 9 April session where Smith gave
his talk. August Gutzmer, one of the key German
promoters, together with Klein, of the reform of
mathematics teaching, reported on the movement.
In the discussion following Gutzmer's talk, Max
Simon criticized those reforms. Presiding at the
last session, Simon used his position to defeat
Smith's proposal. Lietzmann quotes Simon on the
reform proposals: "The good is not new; and the
new is not good!" (Lietzmann 1960, 44; my
transl., G.S.).
The conflict between Klein and the modernizers,
on the one hand, and the defenders, like Simon,
of traditional approaches, on the other hand, has
been seen as a rivalry between two competing
scientific schools in German mathematics
education (Burscheid 1984). Simon was a
mathematics teacher at a gymnasium whose main
interest was in geometry, where he advocated
classical Euclidean methods.

Gert Schubring, gert.schubring at uni-bielefeld.de

Note from the editor: Some references:
* EILEEN F. DONOGHUE 1987, The origins of a
professional mathematics education program at
Teachers College, Ed.D. Thesis, Columbia
University New York, Teachers College
* REFORMES A ACCOMPLIR; DANS L'ENSEIGNEMENT DES
MATHÉMATIQUES (Suite), Chapitre: Opinion de M.
Dav.-Eug. Smith Professeur au Teachers College,
Columbia University, New-York., L'Enseignement
Mathématique / Volume 7 (1905), p. 469-471.
All the numbers of the journal "L'Enseignement
Mathématique" are available on the web at the
address
http://retro.seals.ch/digbib/fr/vollist?UID=ensmat-001

2. Send an e-mail to icmi-news-request at mathunion.org with the Subject-line:
Subject: subscribe

In both cases you will get an e-mail to confirm your subscription so
that misuse will be minimized. ICMI will not use the list of ICMI News
addresses for any purpose other than sending ICMI News, and will not
make it available to others.

Previous issues can be seen at:
http://www.mathunion.org/pipermail/icmi-news