[ICMI-News] ICMI Newsletter - September 2023

icmi-news at mathunion.org icmi-news at mathunion.org
Fri Sep 15 10:48:53 CEST 2023

**ICMI Newsletter September 2023**
==================================

Editors:
========

[Jean-Luc Dorier ](mailto:icmi.secretary.general at mathunion.org)(ICMI Secretary General)
[Merrilyn Goos](mailto:m.goos at uq.edu.au) (ICMI Vice President)
[Lena Koch](mailto:icmi.administrator at mathunion.org) (ICMI Administrative Manager)

**Editorial – From the desk of Marta Civil, Member the of ICMI-EC 2021-2024**
**My experience at the XVI CIAEM conference**

I write this editorial a few days after my return from participating in the XVI CIAEM conference in Lima, Peru. This conference is organized by the Inter-American Committee of Mathematics Education (IACME), an ICMI regional affiliate organization. Below, Angel Ruiz provides more information on this conference from the point of view of number of participants, countries represented and other aspects or the program. In my editorial I want to give my personal perspective on the conference in the hopes to encourage all of you to consider attending the next CIAEM, which will be in 2027 in Monterrey, Mexico. This was my first CIAEM and I regret not having attended prior ones. To say that this was an impressive conference would be an understatement. Not only was the organization excellent but the variety and content of the sessions were amazing. Practically all sessions were given in Spanish or Portuguese and included seasoned researchers as well as emergent scholars.

[READ MORE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeFuBlC8RDI2Afo9H7oVn/aXz5c2zUI5PO)

**ICME-15 Sydney**
------------------
------------------
------------------

**Register Now!**
-----------------
-----------------
-----------------

Mark your calendar and make plans to be part of ICME-15 from July 7th to 14th, 2024, in Sydney. Come and be counted with us! It is not too soon to register! Early bird registration closes on 15 February 2024.

The review process for TSG submissions is underway. Whether or not you submitted a proposal you can plan your participation in two TSGs – one from Strand A and one from Strand B – now. The TSG Description Papers and access to the TSG Submission Portal is via the Congress website, [www.icme15.org.](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeG13DKxOOSBeldS16763/bR8RO4qICco2)

Discussion Group and Workshop proposals are open and will remain so until December 31, 2023. Details of these activities and the submission portal are available on the website.

[READ MORE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeG7ufTmLZcL8rSkl4PgJ/lPQoRsjYswjq)

###**International mathematics education journals with increasingly good impact factors**
###** ****Susanne Prediger, Member-at-large of the ICMI EC**

Whether we like it or not, in many university systems all over the world, individual career opportunities (e.g., in tenure track procedures) and institutional university evaluations strongly rely on simplified (easy to measure) indicators of quality.
One group of indicators tries to capture the quality of the journals in which we publish. Of course, insiders can judge the quality of a journal by holistic expert judgments of long-term reputation and profile (for expert judgments in mathematics education journal rankings, see e.g., Toerner & Arzarello, 2012; Niven & Otten, 2017).

In contrast, the discipline-overarching evaluation systems in university institutions often rely on more simplified quantitative measures. Most often, they simply count how often papers are cited (for individual papers or accumulated to the papers of a journal).
The most influential indicator for citations accumulated for journals is Clarivate’s impact factor that counts the citations for the papers in the last two year in all journals in the Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) or Emerging Sources Citation Index (ESCI) and determines rates with the number of published papers (with slightly changing procedures every year).  For a long time...

[READ MORE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGEm7cbIkmUcxI3V2iGZ/QP7DLYZhvntu)

###**Report on ICTMT-16**
###**Chronis Kynigos**

Chronis Kynigos reports about the 16th International Conference on Technology in Mathematics Teaching which took place in Athens (June 7-10, 2023) the conference had an intense focus and discussions on perspectives trying to make sense of mathematics education in an era of intense, unpredictable, complex, ill-defined societal and digital transformation.

[READ THE FULL REPORT HERE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGLdZlQFvwe737MF10qp/UCG0bsYsMeQ_)

**MERGA 45
**

###**Merrilyn Goos (ICMI Vice-President)**

Read the report by ICMI EC Vice President Merrilyn Goos about the 45th annual conference of the Mathematics Education Research Group of Australasia which was held in Newcastle, a lively port city to the north of Sydney, from July 2-6, 2023.

[READ THE REPORT](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGSV1uFD76nb8weyzJR5/QKwWrg5ducps)

###**Report from CERME 13 in Budapest and PME 46 in Haifa in July 2023**
###**Susanne Prediger, Member-at-large of the ICMI EC**

In July 2023, the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (ERME, a regional affiliate organization of ICMI) has gathered in a face-to-face conference, CERME 13. We had so much been waiting for this, for four and a half years, since February 2019! More than 900 participants (not only from Europe, but from all over the world) visited the lovely city of Budapest (with the university campus right at the Danube river) to work together for six days. Many more researchers had wanted to come, but..

[READ MORE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGZMU34AIGx5Elxixc1L/C2yB7anHunj0)

The International Group for the Psychology of Mathematics Education (PME, a thematic affiliate organization of ICMI) held a conference in 2022, trying to continue the schedule of annual meetings. Whereas the conference in Alicante 2022 was organized in a hybrid format, the 2023 conference in Haifa was a 97% face-to-face conference, with only selected inputs broadcasted online from abroad, and several hundred participants on site.

The community is still experimenting and negotiating how to relate face-to-face events (with their immense opportunities of informal communication) with the increased accessibility for many participants through hybrid formats. For myself personally, I consider the informal conversations in the face-to-face breaks as a highly relevant part of conference experiences in which I learn a lot.

The University of Haifa was a remarkable conference location...

[READ MORE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGgDwBt7TR6ZKbGSvubb/8lvlqdrdcSaT)

###**XVI CIAEM in Lima**
###**The XVI CIAEM in Lima was a great success**
###**
Ángel Ruiz
, President, Inter-American Committee of Mathematics Education**

Marshall Stone Award

Nelly León (Venezuela)

Marshall Stone Award

Sarah González (Dominican Republic)

Luis Santaló Award

Luis Carlos Arboleda (Colombia) together with Angel Ruiz during the Award Ceremony.

>From July 30 to August 4, 2023, the XVI Inter-American Conference of Mathematics Education (XVI CIAEM) was held in Peru at the University of Lima. The first thing to highlight is that this was the first major post-pandemic multinational congress in the Americas that was fully face-to-face. From the outset, this modality became a great challenge for a region greatly affected by the pandemic, nationally, institutionally, and individually. The efforts that had to be made were greater in the midst of many uncertainties, including political ones. But the process was completed with extraordinary success. (...) During the event, the Luis Santaló and Marshall Stone Awards were presented.

[READ THE FULL REPORT HERE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGn5OKi4ebG3QQZCuDBr/kCzJ8tm9Z21e)

**ICMI Study 24**
-----------------
**Publication of the 24th ICMI Study on “School Mathematics Curriculum Reforms: Challenges, Changes and Opportunities”**

###**Yoshinori Shimizu and Renuka Vithal, editors**

We are really happy to announce that finally the volume of ICMI Study 24 has been published and is in open access at: [https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/SMK1E8tHeGtwqTX1plPXWFrwsVm7/o_HfXpV1i0ZF](https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-031-13548-4)

ICMI Study 24 provides clear evidence that school mathematics curriculum reforms are taking place in many countries around the world in the recent past. Although contexts vary significantly the study shows how much could be learnt from deeper and more substantial reflections and research about different aspects of these reforms.

Reforms have been large-scale involving an education system as a whole, at a national, state, district or regional level in which mathematical curricula, standards or frameworks have been developed and implemented. Changes have taken place at all levels of mathematics in the school educational system from pre-primary through senior secondary.

School mathematics reforms are often conducted with changes in all different aspects of the ...

[READ THE ARTICLE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsDhYHbMyEvHwHUQb9GTeV/NYQEKvox3_Bd)

**ICMI Study 26 on Geometry – Deadline postponed**

**Important news about ICMI Study 26 on Geometry – Deadline postponed**

The Study Conference will take place at the University of Reims Champagne Ardenne –
INSPE - Reims, France (http://www.univ-reims.fr/inspe/).

Dates: from Tuesday April 23 to Friday April 26, 2024.

**Deadlines (Just recently revised)
 **
Submissions must be made online no later than October 6, 2023, but earlier if possible.

Papers will be reviewed and decisions made about invitations to the conference.
Notification of decisions will be sent to the corresponding/main author from November 30, 2023.

Information about the program, venue, registration, visa application, costs, travel, accommodation, and other issues will be available in due time on the 26th ICMI Study Conference website ([https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsE9sznnMb1D6XYFyyFDMZ/Q9SvKpQMxnFw](https://icmistudy26.sciencesconf.org/)).

[READ MORE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsEcDi0Dkx78Gnc5MnDx4d/vjDINjeOaHJ7)

**Launching the 27th ICMI Study on Mathematics Education and the Socio-Ecological **

###**Frederick Leung (President of ICMI)**

I am happy to announce the launching of a new ICMI Study, namely the 27th ICMI Study on Mathematics Education and the Socio-Ecological. This envisioned theme of Mathematics Education and the Socio-Ecological is a timely one for exploring and consolidating theoretical knowledge in the area internationally, and for informing practice in mathematics education. Through the socio-ecological lens, research and practice that connect with social, political, and ecological (including environmental) issues and related ethical concerns, as well as their relations to mathematical knowledge and mathematics education, are valued.
Please read the full announcement to find out the aims and the IPC of this 27th ICMI Study.

[READ THE FULL ANNOUNCEMENT ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsF4YQCe9JD3R3fukcCgmh/6IjC4vcjavuv)

**Updates about ICMI-AMOR**

We are happy to announce that the Terezinha Nunes Unit has been created and is now available [here](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsFWt8P4XfIybJjk8RBQUl/6ClQe14lxalX).

Recently, the Celia Hoyles Unit was completed by an Epilogue in the form of a 30 minute interview of Celia by Nurià Planas. Three units are complete: Michèle Artigue’s, Yves Chevallard’s and Anna Sfard’s.
The Guy Brousseau Unit is nearly finished and work on Ubiratan D’Ambrosio’s has just started.

A discussion group about AMOR will be held at ICME-15.

[ Website of ICMI AMOR](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsFzDqbUw1OtlZnZWGAACp/DbbRMc1Ca9lV)

[READ THE ARTICLE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsGRYYnvKNUovprOu58tut/9sCTS30dHS5N)[ ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsGttH0Lijak65vEHu7dcx/b9N5LiUMaTxj)

**News from IMU**

At its meeting in Helsinki, Finland, in July 2022, the 19th IMU General Assembly voted to accept the bid from the United States of America to host ICM 2026 and the 20th IMU General Assembly, with Philadelphia as the venue for the ICM and New York City for the General Assembly.

The dates for the ICM and the GA are now final:

- The 20th IMU General Assembly will be held in New York City, USA, on July 20-21, 2026.
- [ICM 2026 ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsHMDzCm75gfGLz3fj6NL1/fAMQIm1-2gl8)will take place over July 23-30, 2026 in Philadelphia, USA.

The ICM 2026 Program Committee Chair will be Claire Voisin, CNRS, Institut de Mathématiques de Jussieu-Paris Rive Gauche, Paris, France.

**News from CDC**

The Commission for Developing Countries (CDC) has the mandate to manage all initiatives of the IMU in support of mathematics in developing and economically disadvantaged countries. It held its first in-person meeting of the 2023-2026 term between March 12-14, 2023, in Berlin. CDC offers various funding programs. Mathematicians and mathematics educators from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply for funding. Detailed information can be found on the [CDC website](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsHoYhPCVRmaQc2t3Y5735/gHUAIA2Mu573) and in the article.

[READ THE ARTICLE ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsDhf93VnC6S5laFttEmEl/cQA9qvT5BQ4S)

**International Decade of Sciences for Sustainable Development 2024-2033**

On 25 August the United Nations, in a meeting of its General Assembly, proclaimed the International Decade of Sciences for Sustainable Development (IDSSD) 2024–2033.

This is a great outcome of the International Year of Basic Sciences for Sustainable Development ([IYBSSD 2022](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsE9zrFwBYCNG1e5HiDVwp/SXUo54CW6T4Q)), of which the IMU is a founding union.

More information regarding the proclamation can be found [here](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsEcKZSMZuIIQHhufXCFet/hilyu1Z9BSvI). The full text of the resolution can be found [here](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsF4fHemyGODaXlk3MAzMx/iQAFKKzUBb1Q).

###**News from ICMI Country Representatives and Affiliate Organizations**
###----------------------------------------------------------------------
###
###

###**News from the Philippines**
###**Cayen Arceo, ICMI representative for the Philippines
**
###

**The Mathematical Society of the Philippines celebrates its 50th Year**
The Mathematical Society of the Philippines (MSP), Inc. is a non-stock, non-profit organization founded in 1973, and the 2023 Convention marks its 50th year as the country’s largest professional organization dedicated to the promotion of mathematics and mathematics education. Running up to the big event held in June 2023, webinars were organized in partnership with the MSP Regional Chapters as tributes to pillars of Philippine mathematics: Severino Gervacio, Bienvenido Nebres, Fidel Nemenzo, and Polly Sy.

“**How to Pose It?” – A Lecture by Dr Catherine Vistro-Yu**
On August 2, 2023, Dr. Catherine Vistro-Yu gave a talk on problem-posing. Titled "How to Pose It? (With Apologies to George Polya): Problem Posing as a Pedagogical Tool for Developing Higher Cognitive Skills", it was a continuation of the talk Dr. Catherine Vistro-Yu delivered at the 2023 MSP Annual Convention. The open forum at the convention was quite lively, so that it was seen fit for Dr. Catherine Vistro-Yu to do a second part. The second talk was held in hybrid format and again saw animated discussion among the onsite and online attendees.

**MATHTED (Philippine Council of Mathematics Teacher Educators) holds 14th Biennial International Conference**
MATHTED will be holding its 14th Biennial International Conference with the theme “Future-Proofing Mathematics Education: Meeting Challenges and Optimizing Opportunities,” on October 19-21, 2023 at PSHS-WVC in Jaro, Iloilo City.

Registration is open until October 5, 2023. More information is available in MATHTED’s official Facebook page at [https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsFWzzrDMcU8knpZRB9j51/_9Gjjak_TzOZ.](https://www.facebook.com/mathted)

[READ THE FULL ARTICLE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsFzKi3dkya3v3tOp08Sn5/JOl5vwmQZNEA)[ ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsGRfQG49Kfz5JxECp7CV9/z2wsZVnss0g3)

###**News from ADIMA**
###

**ADiMA 3**
The third conference of the Association of African Didacticians of Mathematics (ADiMA3) with the theme “Interdisciplinary approach in the teaching and learning of mathematics: What projects and what challenges for Africa?” was held in Hammamet in Tunisia from August 15-20, 2022.
The proceedings of this conference with the text of presentations and resources are now accessible online at [here (in French).](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsGu08SUXgluFa13ae5wDD/A8SFaCrkC4RS)

**ADIMA 4 The 4th Conference of the Association of African Didacticians of Mathematics**will be held at Mohammed 6 Polytechnic University - University Ben Guérir (Morocco) from May 20-24, 2024. Theme: Teaching mathematics for/through STEM education: challenges and opportunities.

The local organizing committee and the scientific committee invite you to save the dates for your participation in this conference.

[READ THE ARTICLE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsHMKqeuw2rpPq4syT4fvH/6ZadaockQcQ2)[ ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsHofYrLKOxka68iMI3PdL/Q7MkZTNF5dhq)

###**News from AFRICMA **

We are happy to announce that AFRICME is now officially represented by an ICMI Affiliate regional organization called AFRICMA which is registered in Kenya.

The objectives of the association are to advance mathematics education in Africa by

- Providing a forum for researchers, educators, policy makers and all interested in mathematics and mathematics education to share ideas.
- Promoting research and innovations to improve the teaching of mathematics at all levels.
- Organizing AFRICME conferences for dissemination of research, sharing ideas, and discussion of key issues.
- Organizing CANP 4 follow up extension activities.
- Disseminating ICMI information and providing the association’s information to ICMI.
- Promoting regional collaboration.
- Promoting mathematics education through school-based mathematics groups/societies.
- Promoting participation in pan-African mathematics Olympiads at school level.
- Promoting capacity building for the mathematics teacher educators.
- Promoting culturally relevant instruction of mathematics.
- Promoting mathematical extra-curricular activities at school level and tertiary level.
- Promoting the design of programs that detect, guide and stimulate the talent for mathematics among African children.
- Promoting the organization of African tournaments for young mathematicians.

AFRICMA was established by a group of mathematics educators interested in advancing mathematics education in Africa. AFRICMA was formally registered on August 10, 2023 in Kenya and has its secretariat at Kenyatta University.

The Africa ICMI regional congress (AFRICME) was established in 2005 at the first congress.

Read the article to find out the member of the first Executive Committee.

[FULL ARTICLE ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsDhm0Vec9HcFFg5CdD4p1/RkMd5IISrn7d)

###**CIEAEM 74 in Malmö, Sweden**

Cristina Sabena reports about the 74th conference of the commission for the study and improvement of mathematics teaching (CIEAEM) which took place in Malmö (Sweden) from August 15 to 19, 2023, chaired by Lisa Bjoklund-Boïstrup. After three years of online meetings, it has been a real pleasure to welcome 126 participants from all five continents to the University of Malmö. As is customary in the tradition of CIEAEM, participants included researchers, teacher trainers, teachers, as well as students (both teacher students and PhD students). The theme of the CIEAEM 74 conference, “Mathematics and Practices: Actions for the Future”, encompassed a broad spectrum of mathematically related practices, organized into four subthemes...

[FULL ARTICLE](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsEA6ii50VNXPVjuaSBoX5/xe8mWhh_KCmU)[ ](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsEcRQuVOrTSZlnjyHAYF9/UDJdWfD8gLz0)

**Conferences to come**

**February 20 - 23, 2024**

[13th International Mathematical Creativity and Giftedness Conference (MCG13), South Africa](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsF4m96vnDZNk1rZM69HxD/FboFq5gnpRIo)

**May 20 to 24, 2024**
[4th Conference of the Association of African Didacticians of Mathematics (ADiMA-4), Morocco](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsFX6rJMBZfIuHvOjv81fH/g44Nu9fv_ctP)

**July 7 - July 14, 2024**

[ICME-15, Sydney, Australia](https://62s8s.r.a.d.sendibm1.com/mk/cl/f/sh/1t6Af4OiGsFzRZVmZvlE4XzE7k6lNL/G5Eck3AX4DaJ)

IMU Secretariat

Hausvogteiplatz 11A, 10117, Berlin

This email was sent to icmi-news at mathunion.org

You've received it because you've subscribed to our newsletter.