The General Assembly (GA) of the International Mathematical Union consists of Delegates appointed by the Adhering Organizations of IMU, together with the members of the Executive Committee, and of the Representatives of Associate and Affiliate IMU Members. Guests and observers may be invited additionally to GA meetings to participate for purposes of consultation upon specific items on the GA meeting agenda. Only Delegates have voting rights. The IMU Statutes contain a detailed description of the rights and duties of the General Assembly. At the GA meeting in Gyeongju in August 2014 a document that provides Guidelines for the organization of a meeting of the GA was endorsed.
The GA normally meets once in four years, usually at a place and date close to an International Congress of Mathematicians. The next meeting of the IMU General Assembly will be held in 2018 in São Paulo, Brazil, most likely on August 4 and 5.
Information about IMU General Assemblies back to the 13th GA can be found below.
- 17th GA in Gyeongju, Republic of Korea, August 10-11, 2014
- 16th GA in Bangalore, India, August 16-17, 2010
- 15th GA in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, August 19-20, 2006
- 14th GA in Shanghai, China, August 17-18, 2002
- 13th GA in Dresden, Germany, August 15-16, 1998
At every General Assembly resolutions concerning the development of mathematics, international cooperation, etc. are made and published in the IMU Bulletin that appears directly after the General Assembly. Below is a list of these resolutions:
- 2014, 17th GA in Gyeongju, Republic of Korea
- 2010, 16th GA in Bangalore, India
- 2006, 15th GA in Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- 2002, 14th GA in Shanghai, China
- 1998, 13th GA in Dresden, Germany
- 1994, 12th GA in Luzern, Switzerland
- 1990, 11th GA in Kobe, Japan
- 1986, 10th GA in Oakland, U.S.A.
- 1982, 9th GA in Warsaw, Poland
- 1978, 8th GA in Otaniemi, Finnland
- 1974, 7th GA in Hot Springs, Canada
- 1970, 6th GA in Menton, France
Nominating Committees for IMU Offices