The General Assembly (GA) of the International Union consists of the delegates appointed by the Adhering Organizations, the members of the IMU Executive Committee, and observers. Observers are persons whom the IMU President (with the approval of the Executive Committee) may invite to participate for purposes of consultation upon specific items on the GA agenda. Only delegates have voting rights. The IMU Statutes contain a detailed description of the rights and duties of the General Assembly. In September 2012 the IMU Executive Committee has endorsed a document that provides Guidelines for the organization of a meeting of the GA.
The GA normally meets once in four years, usually at a place and date close to an International Congress of Mathematicians. The last IMU General Assembly was held at Bangalore, India, on August 16 and 17, 2010. Detailed information about the GA is made available via a server maintained by the ICM 2010 Local Organizing Committee. A General Assembly Committee has been responsible for organising the General Assembly in Bangalore.
The next meeting of the IMU General Assembly will be held in Gyeongju, Republic of Korea, August 10-11, 2014.
Information about IMU General Assemblies back to the 13th GA can be found below.
- 16th GA in Bangalore, India, August 16-17, 2010
- 15th GA in Santiago de Compostela, Spain, August 19-20, 2006
- 14th GA in Shanghai, China, August 17-18, 2002
- 13th GA in Dresden, Germany, August 15-16, 1998
At every General Assembly resolutions concerning the development of mathematics, international cooperation, etc. are made and published in the IMU Bulletin that appears directly after the General Assembly. Below is a list of these resolutions:
- 2010, 16th GA in Bangalore, India
- 2006, 15th GA in Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- 2002, 14th GA in Shanghai, China
- 1998, 13th GA in Dresden, Germany
- 1994, 12th GA in Luzern, Switzerland
- 1990, 11th GA in Kobe, Japan
- 1986, 10th GA in Oakland, U.S.A.
- 1982, 9th GA in Warsaw, Poland
- 1978, 8th GA in Otaniemi, Finnland
- 1974, 7th GA in Hot Springs, Canada
- 1970, 6th GA in Menton, France
Nominating Committees for IMU Offices