During the May 27 to July 16, 2017, Professor Shiferaw Berhanu participated in the following activities for the Postgraduate Program of the mathematics department of Addis Ababa University:
- taught a graduate course in complex analysis;
- advised the Program on various academic issues including curriculum im-
- advocated for strengthening applied mathematics in the Program, and
- initiated some steps in this direction. Following my advice, a team of three
- faculty members including the head of the Mathematics Department visited
- some universities in Sweden and secured the consent of an applied mathematician to teach courses in the Program.
- prepared the Analysis part of a grant proposal for the ISP of Sweden.
- gave a public lecture on a mathematical topic that is of interest to physcists and engineers. The title was: "A Local Hopf Lemma and Unique Continuation for The Helmholtz Equation".
The first year 2017-2018 4-week visit to the University of Zimbabwe by Prof. Anotida Madzvamuse was aimed at establishing face-to-face contact with faculty, research fellows and postgraduate students in the Department of Mathematics as well as undertaking substantial teaching and research activities to alleviate some of the shortages currently being encountered by the department. The visit took place between 13th October and 10th November 2017, in Harare, Zimbabwe. Upon arrival, Madzvamuse was met by Dr Gift Muchatibaya, and Professor Simon Mukwebi.
During the visit, the following activities were undertaken by Madzvamuse:
- Delivery of public talks at the Department of Mathematics Auditorium. In total, 4 one-hour intensive seminal talks were given over a period of two weeks
- 4-week intensive masters course in Further Topics in Applied Mathematics (teaching and examination), totalling approximately 60-hours teaching time only not including examination time.
- Mentoring of early career faculty in the Department
- Establishing formal research collaborations with faculty in the department
- Exploring the establishment of formal links between the University of Zimbabwe and the University of Sussex
- Continuous academic supervision of Masters and PhD students