The 63rd meeting of the IMU Executive Committee, held in Berlin on May 15-16, 1997, amended the IMU Statutes to introduce a new type of membership, called Affiliate Member.
Multi-national mathematical societies and professional societies wishing to become an Affiliate Member of IMU are requested to contact the IMU Secretary General.
Five multi-national societies are currently affiliated with IMU:
African Mathematical Union (AMU)
European Mathematical Society (EMS)
Mathematical Council of the Americas (MCofA)
Southeast Asian Mathematical Society (SEAMS)
Unión Matemática de América Latina y el Caribe (UMALCA)
Affiliation is specified in the IMU Statutes as follows:
13. For the purpose of facilitating jointly sponsored activities and jointly pursuing the objectives of the IMU, multi-national mathematical societies and professional societies can be affiliated with the Union.
14. The Members of the Union shall elect the Affiliate Members by postal ballots or at meetings of the General Assembly upon recommendation of the Executive Committee. The affiliation may be terminated by the same procedure.
15. Affiliate Members have the right to participate in the General Assembly but shall have no voting rights.
16. Affiliate Members have the right to submit proposals for joint activities to the General Assembly and to the President and Secretary General for consideration of the Executive Committee.
17. The Executive Committee, with the support of the Adhering Organizations and Committees for Mathematics, shall look for ways to keep close relations with the affiliated organizations and to enhance mathematical activities in their regions and fields of interest. They shall receive the Bulletin of the IMU and be kept informed of all activities relevant to them.