The International Day of Mathematics (IDM) is a worldwide celebration. Each year on March 14 all countries will be invited to participate through activities for both students and the general public in schools, museums, libraries and other spaces.
The proclamation of March 14 as the International Day of Mathematics has been adopted by the Executive Council of UNESCO at its 205th session. It was adopted by the 40th session of the General Conference of the UNESCO in November 2019. The inaugural celebration of the IDM is on March 14, 2020.
The website of the IDM is www.idm314.org
Also visit everywhere.idm314.org
From September 2019 it will feature:
- Open source materials, projects, ideas and software
- A map of worldwide events and gatherings
- All content will be offered in multiple languages
A new theme every year: Every year we will announce a new theme to flavor the celebration, spark creativity and bring light to connections between mathematics and all sorts of fields, concepts and ideas.
The theme for 2020 is:
Mathematics is everywhere
- Mathematics help plan and manage economic and social systems enabling the move towards a sustainable use of resources.
- We travel the world guided by precise mathematical calculations based on the position of the sun, stars and GPS satellites.
- We explore the inside of the human body through CT scans and MRI by building images out of numerical data through mathematical algorithms.
- We discover how human thought works by building AI software that can learn and make decisions through mathematic models.
- We photographed a black hole and continue exploring the edges of the universe with mathematics.
The IDM is administered by the IDM Governing Board (IDMGB):
- Christiane Rousseau (Canada), Chair, 2019-2022
- Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel (France), 2019-2020
- Fabio Chalub (Portugal), 2019-2020
- Dayue Chen (China), 2019-2020
- Eduardo Colli (Brazil), 2019-2020
- Anita Rampal (India), 2019-2022
- Betül Tanbay (Turkey), 2019-2022
- Saliou Touré (Ivory Coast), 2019-2022
Andreas Matt from IMAGINARY is in attendance of IDMGB. Günter Ziegler is the EC liaison person on the IDMGB.
Support for the International Day of Mathematics.
The IDM is supported by the following international and regional organizations:
Visit www.idm314.org and everywhere.idm314.org