IMU-Net is a Bimonthly Email Newsletter from the International Mathematical Union
Editor: Mireille Chaleyat-Maurel, University Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Special issue on IMU Prizes and Medals at ICM 2010 in Hyderabad
You may have probably heard in the meantime that on August 19, 2010 in Hyderabad, India, Shrimati Pratibh Patil, the Honourable President of India, presented the IMU awards (a medal and a cheque for each of the prize winners). The prize winners are:
Fields Medal(recognizing outstanding mathematical achievement):
- Elon Lindenstrauss of Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel and Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA;
- Ngo Bao Chau of Universite Paris-Sud, Orsay, France;
- Stanislav Smirnov of Universite de Geneve, Switzerland;
- Cedric Villani of Institut Henri Poincare, Paris, France.
Rolf Nevanlinna Prize (honoring distinguished achievements in mathematical aspects of information science):
Daniel Spielman, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA.
Carl Friedrich Gauss Prize (for outstanding mathematical contributions with significant impact outside of mathematics):
- Yves Meyer, Ecole Normal Superieur de Cachan, Cachan, France.
Chern Medal (awarded to an individual whose accomplishments warrant the highest level of recognition for outstanding achievements in the field of mathematics):
- Louis Nirenberg, Courant Institute of the Mathematical Sciences New York, NY, USA.
More details on the prizes and, in particular, with biodata, laudations, and work profiles of the prize winners, can be found at
The following page
provides access to the PowerPoint presentation shown in the award ceremony and lists the members of the various prize selection committees.
Details about the physical medals and the cash awards can be found here